What is Heuristic Evaluation ?
Heuristic Evaluation is a method for quick and easy evaluation of the user interface.
The process requires that a small set of evaluator’s examine the interface, and judge its compliance with recognized usability principles (“heuristics”). The goal is the identification of any usability issues so that they can be addressed as part of an iterative design process. The beneficiaries are the stakeholders responsible for producing the product – it costs less money to perform a heuristic evaluation than other forms of usability evaluation, and this will reduce the cost of the project. Of course, the users benefit from a more usable product.
Advantages of Heuristic Evaluation
- Inexpensive relative to other evaluation methods
- Intuitive, and easy to motivate potential evaluators to use the method
- Advanced planning not required
- Evaluators do not have to have formal usability training. In their study, Nielsen and Molich used professional computer programmers and computer science students
- Can be used early in the development process
- Faster turnaround time than laboratory testing
What are Usability HeuristicsSimple and natural dialogSpeak the user’s languageMinimize user memory loadBe consistentProvide feedbackProvide clearly marked exitsProvide shortcutsGood error messagesPrevent errors